Joel doesn’t blog. So, I am posting his update on my blog to shame him into starting one, please.
Just a quick note to let you know that I have arrived, in one piece, in the DC suburb of Alexandria, VA. Among the trip’s highlights:
1. Elko, NV (“highlight” is used loosely here)
2. Staying with Todd Murphy’s parents in Loveland, CO, discovering his high school photo wall of fame in the basement, and hearing of his high school exploits from his father 🙂
3. Seeking shelter in a Wal-Mart in McPherson, KS to avoid driving into a tornado (actually, 4 of them. The storm kinda sprung up on me. I’ve missed Kansas.)
4. Father’s Day with my dad + family in Wichita, KS – complete with the requisite BBQ
5. Realizing yet again how long I-70 actually is
6. Allowing my GPS to loop me endlessly around downtown Cleveland, OH
7. Realizing that one can listen to all of David McCullough’s “1776” bewteen St. Louis and Washington, PA. Even if one takes breaks for music and silent contemplation.
8. Being offered free drinks at a hotel bar in Washington, PA in exchange for a more expensive room (apparently the barter system is still a functional part of our economy)
9. Driving past the Alexandria, VA hospital in which Johanna Schaub was born, and realizing that I am staying but a stone’s throw from this hallowed place
10. Being sufficiently starved for mental stimulation after a week in the car as to comprise frivolous “Top 10” lists for friends from the lobby of a local Starbucks.
At any rate, the main takeaway here is that I’m alive and well on the East Coast. There’s no particular intended recipient list here, just getting the word out. Thanks for all the calls, e-mails, and travel safety prayers/recommendations. I’ll be in touch.