it’s friday and, after a week of snow/ice/negative temperatures, the sun is shining warmly, well warmer.
confession: careers i wish i had time in my life to pursue…
1. concierge. an odd choice, especially for number one, but i would love to run a service, or even just sit at a hotel all day, where i gave out recommendations and advice all day long. i’m fairly good with recommendations — i feel i have good taste — but advice, not so much. i often imagine myself to be dispensing great advice, especially after the second glass of wine, but maybe it’s not really that great. i would, though, like running errands and arranging things for people. perhaps one day i will add a “concierge section” to my blog.
2. booze critic/writer. i initially called this food critic, but then i decided to be honest with myself: i really don’t care about food. i love trying restaurants and bars, but i’m probably going to order a chef’s salad and spend my time on the wine list or martini menu.
3. pastry chef. i am enthralled by ace of cakes — could watch it all day long. those again, i don’t really feel i would be good at this. i simply don’t have the patience, nor have i actually baked anything since i was in high school (?). in each of the last three apartements i’ve lived in, i used the oven for storage.
4. typographer. i love fonts, making me the lamest person ever. for the 23 years of my education, though, i spent almost every lecture doodling new lettering in the margins of every book and notebook i had. then, about 2 years ago, i found out that a very few people out there get paid to do it.
5. own an inn. and be lorelai. there, i said it. except mine would have a winery out back.
6. some sort of illegal/shady profession. i would like being shady for a while, i believe, but it might get old, so this could be something of an interim or between-jobs sort of career.
7. zamboni driver. i am absolutely messmerized by their work. i feel that i could make a very long, relaxing run in their industry. it’s like raking a zen sand garden, just driving back and forth and back and forth, smoothing out the ice….
8. park ranger. my old friend and former co-worker, darren, just took a job with the california park service. as i filled out his reference letter, i couldn’t help but feel a liiiitle (lot) jealous. what better job could there be than to just hike around the wilderness and stomp out fires and stuff like smokey the bear.